Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Lie of Dissatisfaction and the Truth about Contentment

Something I've been meditating on...

Matthew 6:33

But seek (aim at and strive after) first of all His kingdom and His righteousness (His way of doing and being right), and then all these things taken together will be given you besides.

These words of Jesus keep washing over me. Whenever my flesh wants to rise up in selfishness I want His words and His spirit to rise over me in remembrance of this scripture. I have so much freedom and I take it for granted.

Freedom with my time.
Freedom with my money.
Freedom with where I go.
Freedom with what I do.

The grass is not greener on the other side!

Yet, my flesh is never satisfied. And you know what? It never will be, because it's my flesh.
That's why we are told in Galatians 5:22-24 to live by the Spirit! And who's Spirit would that be? The Holy Spirit.

The Spirit of Love.
The Spirit of Joy.
The Spirit of Peace.
The Spirit of Patience.
The Spirit of Kindness.
The Spirit of Goodness
The Spirit of Faithfulness.
The Spirit of Gentleness.
And
The Spirit of Self-Control......

"And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh (the godless human nature) with it's passions and appetites and desires."

Tell me this! If we are called according to his design and purpose (Romans 8:28) (and we are) what room is there for dissatisfaction with the portion He has given us for today? None, as far as I'm concerned.

Lord, Give me (give us!) deeper revelation of your Truth and satisfaction in You alone. Amen!

5 comments:

Susan Skitt said...

Good thoughts my friend. The word "appetite" stood out to me. (You know what I mean from my email.)

Anyhow, I've been trying by God's grace to do something about it. Slow changes, hopefully lasting changes, one step at a time.

I just enjoyed an apple tonight with a touch of peanut butter. Right now I feel very content :)

Colleen said...

Susan! Hello. I loved your email by the way. It was so very helpful to me. You're right...slow changes are best, even though my flesh wants to be instantly changed...I know that's not a lasting change. But allowing the Holy Spirit to work in me is =)

Connie Pombo said...

I have to laugh...Marsha Marks is one of my high school friends that I grew up with in Concord, California. Isn't her book hysterical, "Flying by the Seat of My Pants." I actually knew her when she was a "flight attendant." I talked with her while I was out in California and can is as funny in real life as she is on paper. She was collecting stories way back in high school too! What a small blogging world!

Who knew?

Blessings!

Greg C said...

I am making little changes as well. I tried to make the big change but could never make it stick. Each day, I make my life a little better and that is all I can do. I still slip up but the slip ups are getting few and far between. Great post.

Colleen said...

Connie- Again, Thanks for visiting =)

Greg- thanks for the boost of encouragment.