Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Late Bloomer

House? no
Degree? not yet
Married? no
Kids? no


And I bet you think I'm ugly and maybe I am. I realize what that looks like to the world. Question. Did Jesus have any of those things at my age (thirtysomething?) No. Was he pursuing those things? No. Was he worried about finding those things? No. Was he handsome? Not according to Isaiah 53:2. His only desire was the will of the Father who sent Him. Whether people believe in Jesus or not, He was is and always will be the most influential person that ever walked the face of this earth. Jesus. A man with no house. No car. No job. No wife or kids to brag about. The Bible says that God uses the foolish things of this world to confound the wise. I know to the world I might look like a foolish, unsuccessful girl with nothing to show for her life in practical terms.

Then again....Noah built a humongous boat in the middle of the desert because it was going to "rain" and people didn't even know what rain was yet.

Abraham held his most beloved son at knife point because God wanted to know that Abraham held nothing more dear to him then God himself.

Sweet John the Baptist ran around in a loin cloth, and ate honey and locusts yet God used Him to reveal the Son of Man to the world.

Gideon was hiding in a wine press because he was a cowardly man and God called him out to defeat the Midianites after splitting Gideon's army by more than half.

These men did not get so caught up living in the here and now. Striving for success, fame or fortune. They lived with a much greater perspective. An eternal perspective.
Maybe I will one day have those things on that little list above. Maybe I won't. After all, the Bible also says that those who seek to find their life will lose it but those who lose their life for His sake will find it. Isn't that something we all really want anyway? To get a life? To find our calling? To find our purpose? I know I do. But I also know that finding that purpose outside of knowing Him intimatly is like trying to build a house and laboring in vain to try at all if it's not according to His will and purpose.

These "silly" men are some of the most famous men in history, not to mention successful, because they fulfilled the roles God called them too, as opposed to seeking their own agenda and missing the mark. In giving up everything, they received everything. Not necessarily on this earth, but for sure in the sweet hereafter...

I know those men hit the target. They hit the bulls eye, in the most unusual ways.

So here's my question, what are you aiming at today?

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Beautifully written. You really are an amazing woman.

AnnaMarlene said...

Beautiful...Intimacy. What esle should we long for?

Sylvie said...

When I read it I want to cry.
I don't know what to say, how...
Thank YOU! :-)
God's work of creations are love letters to us.
I feel like You get out every Your word from my head cause I absolutely agree! :-)
kisses,
Sylwia

Colleen said...

M and A- Thanks ladies for the visit.

Sylwia- Wow I don't know how you found me, but glad you did.

LBA123 said...

Colleen,
I loved what you had to say...and I love the woman you are. Hope to see you soon, luv, Linz