Friday, August 15, 2008

In the middle of the night...

I was in a sound sleep. Then I heard a very clear knocking. Three knocks to be exact. It startled me wide awake and I let out a gasp. I felt a little bit fearful. Was someone at the door? I didn't move and waited for the knocking to happen again. Nothing. Then I wondered if it came from the guy who lives down below; my window was open, so maybe that's what I heard. But nothing. Only the silence of the night and fan blowing in my room.

Strange little things have been happening to my roommate lately. The Lord called her name out of a sound sleep and called her clearly. That's never happened to her or me or anyone else I know before. So I couldn't help but wonder if it was the Lord knocking. But that seemed silly to me. Maybe I just made it up in my head because of the things that were happening to her. However the reason I was now wide awake was because I heard a very clear and loud knocking. I laid in bed, just listening and thinking about Him until I fell back to sleep.

This morning I kept thinking about the knocking and feeling kind of crazy still. I wondered what the bible had to say about "knocking". I though of the scripture where Jesus says in Revelation 3:20

"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me."

Now although I love that scripture, I don't believe that was what the Lord was trying to tell me.

But then I found this in the Song of Solomon 5:2

"[ Beloved ] I slept but my heart was awake. Listen! My lover is knocking: "Open to me, my sister, my darling, my dove, my flawless one. My head is drenched with dew, my hair with the dampness of the night." (italics added)

Uh, woah. I mean that's pretty heavy stuff. Maybe that's not for me. I don't want to just start pulling scripture out of context, but it's kind of ironic to me that what I heard last night is directly in scripture, in the Song of Songs, of all mushy places.

Awhile back I asked the Lord, "Would you please make me feel special? I don't feel special to anyone, and I need to feel special."

Honestly, I find the words to that scripture pretty overwhelming and intense. Who talks like that anyway? Um, apparently God does and if husbands are to love their wives as Christ loves the Church then that's a pretty special love thing...

2 comments:

Susan Skitt said...

Here's a good knock-knock verse. (no pun intended here)

I love this one, however here we're doing the knocking:

"Ask, and it will be given to you, seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened to you." (Matthew 7:7 NKJV)

Of course as we ask, and seek, and knock, our intent is to ask and seek and knock for what God wants, not what we want. But then as we yield, those two things begin to mesh together. I think of Jesus when He said He came to do the Father's will.

And yes, that verse in Song of Solomon is intense. That's how intense God's love is for us, so much that Jesus gave His life willingly.

Okay, sermon done. But it got me thinking :)

Take care my friend.

Colleen said...

Hey Sue- Thanks for the little "sermon" I appreciate it. :)