Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Joseph and Daniel (Part 1)

I'm no bible scholar, but these are just some thoughts...

Two beautiful hearts of men before the Lord; who's lives I have been meditating on:
The life of Joseph and the life of Daniel.

These two men adored and worshipped the Lord in their everyday lives. Their love for God seemed to out way their temptation to fall into the deceitfulness of sin. In chaper 39 of Genesis it says how Joseph was given charge over everything in Potiphar's house. Joseph was merely his servant but Potiphar entrusted him with all he owned. Joseph was also apparently attractive and fine-looking. (v.6) Eventually Potiphar's wife took notice of him and on more than one occasion begged Joseph to lie with her. To which Joseph said:

"He is not greater in this house than I am; nor has he kept anything from me except you, for you are his wife. How then can I do this great evil and sin against God?" (Genesis 39:9)

Sin against God? How many of us would immediatly have such a true and right thought? Joseph knew His God. His realationship with the Lord ment everything to him. But I wonder if Potiphar's wife was beautiful. I wonder just how many times she came to Joseph. I wonder how easy it could have been for him to sneak away in secret since no one was around.

But like I said. Jospeh knew his God. He loved his Lord. Obviously more than his carnal desires. He was not willing to compromise himself. He was not willing to sin...against God. And Joseph? Was just a mere man.

But God! I couldn't help myself!
But God! I'm only Human!
But God! I had no choice!

Maybe you didn't use those words. But at one point or another we've all tried to rationalize our sin.

Then the Lord said to me once...
"But! But! But! There are NO Buts in My Kingdom! My Word is YES and Amen!"
(To His ways.)

Hmmmm...so, what's your excuse? Because I'm all out.

3 comments:

colleen said...

But sin is fun and being holy is boring! I know I've thought lie that before.

or

But God it's just a little sin and I didn't really mean it.

I love the story of Joseph...rich, rich, rich with nuggets of wisdom.
Keep writing Colleen!

Colleen said...

Colleen- I so appreciate your encouragement on THIS blog. And it always does my heart good to know you feel the same way.

Susan Skitt said...

I agree, keep writing. I smiled when I saw what two men you were writing about. Two of my favorites, both young men put into unthinkable circumstances. The Lord tested them and they obeyed God rather than man. They didn't give into temptation. I think too of Moses, he gave up riches to suffer with God's people. The Bible talks about sin as being attractive... but only for a season. Its end is destruction, that's what the devil wants for us as belivers. Since he can't have our soul, he wants us to have a ruined and wasted life. But our Lord never gives up on us. He promises to always make a way - He is the way...

Keep writing, keep reading... keep seeking the Lord with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength :)