Sunday, June 17, 2007

Sleeping Babes

The other day I was babysitting for a friend. While the baby was asleep, I went in to check on her. I looked at her and then I hesitated and took another look. I stood there and simply watched her sleep and listened to her baby breaths. Now I don't have any children yet, but I do love this little one and as I watched her I realized that she has no idea how much she is loved. She has no idea how much I care. No idea how pleasent it was just to observe her sleeping.
Then as I thoughtfully watched her the idea occured to me that that is how the Lord feels about His own. Yet how much more...He adores His children. And takes great delight when we not only sleep, but Rest in Him. He hears my heart beat, He hears me breathe and He knows what I dream.
I realize this is no super observation, rather just a sweet thought about how He loves His children and how He loves me.
Psalm 42:8 Yet the Lord will command His loving-kindness in the daytime, and in the night His song shall be with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

2 comments:

1988 said...

The first time I was at your apartment I mentioned that I got the chance to babysit my Goddaughter before I moved to Seattle..I think I mentioned that? Anyway, It was the first time I had really had any contact with a baby. When it was time for me to put her to bed, I had to rock her to sleep in the dark, and it changed my life. It was the most unbelievable feeling I've ever felt. It's like...this tiny human being in my arms, completely relying on me to love her. The most amazing part was actually listening to her breathe. I've obviously never had kids, but I think I can understand just a little of what it means for a father to love his child, because I completely fell in love with my Goddaughter Elanor...she's amazing. I was glad to read about how you compared your experience to God's love for us. I had never thought of it that way. It really helps me understand how unconditional love and grace might work. It encourages me to completely depend upon and rest in Jesus' great love...like a baby with his mother or father, rather than believing that I can do things on my own. Sorry for the long post, it just got me thinking of things, and I apologize that it's generally just me typing my random thoughts on the subject. I think that I mainly just wanted to say thank you for writing it.

Colleen said...

Well hey again! Thanks for sharing the memory. That's beautiful...and I don't mind you going on...I do it all the time!